Monday, February 02, 2004

What a fucking crock - I'm cutting back on my American football viewing from one game a year to zero now.

Apparently, the NFL didn't like the bare breast shot at the end of the halftime show. However, they seemed OK with the diabetic-coma-inducing tripe that happened during the pre-game show, with some unknown singer paying tribute the Shuttle Columbia crew (which reminded me of that scene in “Running Man” where the dancers did a tribute to BuzzSaw – absolute crap, I should have been compensated for having to sit through it.) And I have no fucking clue what either the bare breast or the sugary song has to do with football.

And what does any of this have to do with Liberty in America? Simple - it's a double-standard for men and women. Bare-chested men are common place on TV - bare-chested women not so much. CBS can't take the moral high ground here - ads for their "Two and a Half Men" showed a woman in a thong-like bottom. Neither can the NFL, unless they've stopped selling cheerleader calendars and posters. Apparently the FCC is investigating now - your tax dollars at work, preventing exposed breasts from appearing on the air. Loosely covered, visible through sheer material, barely covered by bikinis - those are fine, apparently (or did I imagine those on the dancers at the halftime show?).

I won't get into the issues of taste and decency - you make your own call. To my mind, the most entertaining part of the half-time show was the bare breast, and that was a marginal call. The rest of it was a bunch of barely-talented idiots who make their living feeding your kids auditory corn syrup doing the same thing to an audience of millions. The NFL was offended by the bare breast - I was offended by the fact that the Super Bowl has become a spectacle, bread and circuses for the masses.

And I've wasted too much of my life ranting about it.


DRUDGE REPORT 2004?

No comments: