Thursday, July 15, 2004

Kumiai by Mike Rogers

A recent essay called Kumiai by Mike Rogers on lewrockwell.com highlights one of first-level derivatives of my own philosophy of personal responsiblity.  Simply put, I believe I am responsible for my own actions.  My actions can be injurious or beneficial - I try to correct the injury if I can and share the benefits with my neighbors if I can.  Deriving from this is the concept of community, where people working together in local efforts of their own free will can have a larger beneficial effect on the locality as a whole.  Mike's explanation of the Japanese idea of kumiai illustrates this beautifully.  I believe this loss of community in the large urban and suburban centers of America have had a deliterious effect of our national sense of liberty and the wish/need for central government to our rescue.

No comments: