Friday, January 04, 2008

Abusing Children in the Name of God

I'm a libertarian - forcing anyone to do anything is anathema to me.  Telling people how to raise their children is also beyond what I think a civilized society should do.  However, with this libertarian philosophy comes the responsibility to do things correctly and appropriately.  I do not steal, not because the law forbids it, but because it is wrong to do so.  I do not kill, not because the law forbids it, but because it is wrong to so.  I care for my loved ones, not because the law requires it, but because it correct to do so.  I do these things - no one else.  Me.

This is why it baffles me that there are people out there who love and care for their children, but who leave their fates to a phantom spirit with sadistic tendencies.  Faith is not, and has never been, enough to someone to provide for their family.  If it were, they would not have to work to provide for food and shelter and clothing.  Why do they think it is enough when their child sprouts tumors or bleeds incessantly?

People who believe that a mythical spirit in the sky will take care of their children's ills and sicknesses are delusional, suffering from a form of mental illness, and should be treated as such.  Would you let a mentally ill person care for your child?  As much as I hater government involvement and intrusion into the personal lives of American citizens, the greater evil is letting children be raised (or killed) by mentally ill parents.

On Faith: Guest Voices: Abusing Children in the Name of God

No comments: