Wednesday, March 11, 2009

John Yoo Torture Memo | Salon

This is good stuff here.  I’m in the process of reading Yoo’s memos (one from October 23, 2001, and one from 2003), and if what the Salon story reports is true, this man needs to be in front a Congressional investigative panel for his role in the Bush administration’s war against the U.S. Constitution.

I’d say we need to include Bush as well, but I don’t think he’s smart enough to understand the charges and aid in his own defense. (Yes, it’s an ad hominem attack, but it’s funny)

UPDATE: Reading the 2001 memo, he quotes a lot of Alexander Hamilton.  I’ve been reading Hamilton’s Curse by Thomas Dilorenzo, and it seems to me that Hamilton wasn’t a great supporter of American liberty.

He also argues that Article 2 of the Constitution grants the President with the power to deal with national threats and direct the use of Armed Forces against terrorists.  I don’t see that in my copy of the Constitution – the President is the Commander and Chief, sure, but the power to wage war is granted to the the legislature.

More later as I read more…

John Yoo Torture Memo | Salon

No comments: