Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sometimes being an American makes me ashamed

Apparently, seven in ten of you think the government should take care of people who can't take care of themselves.

If you're one of those seven: Do you even know what that would entail?  How do you define "take care of themselves"?  How do you provide to fund that entitlement?  Assuming I can take care of myself now, and that you have a plan that means I pay more taxes to make sure some needy folks have food and shelter - how long do you think I can hemorrhage money to take care of the needy before I become one of them?  And when I need to be on the dole myself, who the hell is going to pay for my necessities?

Here's an experiment I'd love to see someone try: start paying for a needy family right now - head down to a homeless shelter and pick someone or some family to help.  Even better, let's do this like government would - have someone else pick the person they think is most needy.  Then, give them them a place to stay, buy them groceries, add them to your health insurance, clothe them, and take care of their needs for a year or so, no strings attached, no demands, no nothing - just support from a concerned citizen.  You'll see that we don't a government program to help the needy - all we need is more brave new souls like you to step up and put your money where your mouth is.

Pew Research Center: Trends in Political Values and Core Attitudes: 1987-2007

del.icio.us tags: , ,

No comments: